Monday, October 31, 2005

Credit Card Offers

Practically every day I get an offer in the mail from a credit card company. They usually try to entice me by offering zero interest for six months. I always wind up discarding their literature.

I'm getting sick of these banks trying to lure me into personal debt. If I get their card and start buying heavily with it but make only the minimum payment each month, everything is alright. But if I forget a payment, out come the late charges. If I lose my job and can't meet my obligations, my phone starts ringing off the hook as their collectors demand payment.

I figure that if you need credit you should ask for it rather than having it pushed on you.

If you're like me and are tired of receiving these offers in the mail here's what we can do. When credit card companies send out their offers they always send an accompanying postage paid envelope for the return of the acceptance form. Instead of discarding this envelope, send it back to them stuffed with a special letter that I've created and placed on my site. The letter is in pdf format, so you need an Adobe Acrobat reader to read and print it. If you don't have one, you can download it here.

You can view and print my letter from this url:

 

4 Comments:

At 9:32 PM, Blogger Diane said...

Nice.

Also, be sure to shred the credit applications with your preprinted name and address rather than put them in the normal trash. If someone was so inclined, they could use them to get credit under your name.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having revolving credit card debt is not a good thing, no doubt. But those 0% balance transfer offers can save a lot of money in the long term for those of us who are not able to pay our credit card balances in full each month. The 0% offers benefit the consumer--for once--and many banks here in the US and in Europe have lost some serious money by making these offers.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I once read about someone who took the postage-paid envelope, stuffed it with the day's junk mail, and sent it back to the credit card companies - solved two problems at once :)

That said, credit cards to serve a good purpose - like emergency money, building credit, saving money like domain blog pointed out. Most people just screw up when they use them.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Peter Porcupine said...

Since I am dead, I particularly enjoy the online credit card offers I get.

I am considering accepting them, and referring them to my grave in Farnham for eventual collection.


After all, as a gentleman, that IS the 18th century way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home